SketchUpVrayArtists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COUNTRY STYLE KITCHEN

2 posters

Go down

COUNTRY STYLE KITCHEN Empty COUNTRY STYLE KITCHEN

Post by anastassis.vamvakas Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:26 pm

I 'd appreciate immensely any kind of input I can have on this project. I thought I might take it from the beginning, in order to clarify all my fuzzy perception about VRay

First things first: illumination. I usually like dramatic lighting, so it's almost always sunlight streaming in through the window(s) that I choose to show. Here comes the question: How does one choose the kind of sun they want? Smile

I'm not 100% sure, but I understand there are wo kinds of suns in VRay. The one, also called VRay sun, "lives" in the Environment tab, under the "Sky" map in the GI. I rendered one shot using the VRay sun, just as it comes in default settings (says "Sunlight"). Nothing else changed (sun size etc). My camera shutter speed was set to 50 and the "default lights" in the "Global Switches" tab was unchecked. This is the rendering I entitle "VRay Sunlight"

The other sun I understand is the Sketchup sun, and "lives" in the "Global Switches" tab, under the "default lights" spot. I did a second rendering of the scene, using the Default Lights, this time changing the capital "M" in GI into a small "m", thus meaning I deactivated the VRay sun, correct?
To give more light into my scene, this time I cranked up the GI colour (which I changed to totally white) from its default 1 to 9. This is the rendering I entitle "Sketchup Sun"

So would you please be so nice as to tell me which one you like better? Or what the differences are? Or if there is a rule of thumb as to which sun to choose? And how do you like the illumination in this scene? Personally I prefer the Sketchup sun version.

Thanks a lot in advance, I really look forward to hearing your opinions Smile

COUNTRY STYLE KITCHEN Vraysunversion

COUNTRY STYLE KITCHEN Supsunversion

anastassis.vamvakas
anastassis.vamvakas

https://www.facebook.com/technicolourspaces

Back to top Go down

COUNTRY STYLE KITCHEN Empty Re: COUNTRY STYLE KITCHEN

Post by nomeradona Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:24 am

Now you gave me headache with sketchup sun and vray sun. But let me recall what Fernando told me. There is only one sun position in Vray for sketchup, as opposed with Vray Max).. When you are using the default light, it means you are telling vray not to Override the Sketchup sun. By the way even with default sun, vray has assigned a high multiplier omni light with default parameters.

How about what we called the Vray sun? Well, it simply means, I dont like the default, I want to tweak the parameters in order to control the effect of this huge multiplier omni light to the scene... Therefore in this sense there is really one SUN... its a choice between using the default or the additional parameters.

As for the effect of this omni light (SU default sun) it seems to me that many like it because of the absence of the bluish tint right? For me if you think it suits you go for it. As for me I will always love to tweak the effect of this sun (soft shadow, quality of shadows, together with the effect of the sky and its intensity etc.). Because i have more option i still prefer the overriden sun by vray.

How about the bluish tint can I correct this.. YES!

I love also dramatic lighting. But one thing I noticed, the physical camera can always kill the exposure and will result with a bland scene. Beside contact shadows under the furnitures could missed too which will result with seem floating furnitures.

So as for me I used the sun and not overexpose it with physical camera, of course I will end up having too many dark areas. To compensate, I aint increase the GI, rather I use rectangular lights almost the same size as the window, about 10 cm away from the window, and invisible. This way I can increase the illumination inside the interior and introduce contact shadows...

Last edited by nomeradona on Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
nomeradona
nomeradona
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by anastassis.vamvakas Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:16 pm

That was very clear and clarified many things nomeradona, thank you. I had the same headache I caused you with the multiple suns notion! I'll give it several tries according to your suggestions
anastassis.vamvakas
anastassis.vamvakas

Back to top Go down

Post by nomeradona Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:50 pm

great. waiting for your next update.
nomeradona
nomeradona
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by anastassis.vamvakas Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:18 am

This is a new take on illuminating the scene with GI and rectangular lights as per your suggestion

I'd like to hear what you think and more comments, criticism and suggestions, thanks!

COUNTRY STYLE KITCHEN 73124720

anastassis.vamvakas
anastassis.vamvakas

Back to top Go down

Post by nomeradona Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:07 am

well its a choice really now. its looking good. i notice about the noise of your shadows. maybe increase the shadow subdivision. are you using default of 8? double it maybe.
nomeradona
nomeradona
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by anastassis.vamvakas Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:54 pm

yes I left the shadow settings to default. will crank it up to double as you suggest. thanks again!
anastassis.vamvakas
anastassis.vamvakas

Back to top Go down

Post by anastassis.vamvakas Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:28 pm

Got the first one out of the oven with materials this time...
I'm weak at texturing, but tried hard. Lets hope I'll improve with your suggestions.
Thanks again Very Happy

This one has a little photoshop as well-levels up and a little contrast

COUNTRY STYLE KITCHEN Wipkitchenmaterials1

anastassis.vamvakas
anastassis.vamvakas

Back to top Go down

Post by nomeradona Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:56 am

what do you want to accomplished. have you put bumps on the materials? concrete. I could see the nice bumps on the floor. looking good for me.

model i notice the edges especially on the windows are too sharp. i think they need a bit of chamfering. round edges could solve it.
nomeradona
nomeradona
Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down